Three Female California Community College Students Experiencing Homelessness Studying Together in a Campus Library

Students Experiencing Homelessness

Students Experiencing Homelessness can get help paying for their college education.

Contact your school’s financial aid office about resources for students experiencing unstable housing situations or food insecurity.

Food pantries, emergency funds, community support and other specialized resources are offered locally by colleges to help students struggling to pay for basic needs to afford college and achieve their higher education and career goals.

California Community College Student Experiencing Homeless with Purple Hair and Red Jacket Carrying a Smart Phone


California community colleges are on the front lines, opening food pantries, guiding students into the CalFresh program, and working with food banks and other nonprofits to prevent students from going hungry. Students experiencing homelessness can apply for financial aid with a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA).

Award Amount

For students struggling to afford essential needs, your local college may offer additional financial support or resources to help. CalFresh can help get you some extra cash for groceries. It's a California financial aid program that helps students buy food and eat healthier. It won’t affect your existing financial aid, and you don’t need your parent's tax return information to apply. Students may qualify for Pell Grants, Cal Grants, FWS opportunities, loans, and the CCPG fee waiver.

More financial aid programs are available.

Most U.S. citizens qualify for financial aid with a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Undocumented students can get assistance through the California Dream Act (CADAA).



Federal Pell Grants go to undergraduate students without college degrees who come from low-income families.

Learn More



Cal Grants get awarded to California resident undergraduates based on financial need, academic performance and other factors.

Learn More



Low-income students and students receiving cash assistance may automatically apply for a California College Promise Grant (CCPG).

Learn More



The California Community Colleges Scholarship Endowment (CCCSE) offers over 3,000 student scholarships per year.

Learn More


Part-Time Employment

Federal work-study students earn money to pay for college by working a part-time job on-campus or out in the community.

Learn More



Foster youth students who were in care on or after their 16th birthday can apply for a Chafee Grant up until they turn 26.

Learn More

Got questions?
We’ve got answers.

All Paths FAQs