California Community Colleges Work Study Program Student and Her Teacher Working on a Computer

Work-Study Programs

Work-Study Programs can help you pay for your college education.

Work-study gives you money for college with a part-time job on-campus or in the community.

Working 10 to 15 hours a week will ease your financial burden and, according to some studies, can help improve your grades and time management skills in the process.

Work Study Program Participant Laughing as He Reshelves Books in a California Community College Campus Library


Federal work-study (FWS) jobs provide valuable experience and allow students to gain workplace skills. Positions are available throughout the campus and are offered during the school year. Talk to your financial aid office about the FWS options available at your college.

Award Amount

You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage. However, you may make more depending on the type of work and the skills required for the position. The amount you earn can’t exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your employer or your school’s financial aid office will consider your class schedule and academic progress.

More financial aid programs are available.

Most U.S. citizens qualify for financial aid with a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Undocumented students can get assistance through the California Dream Act (CADAA).

Pell Grants


Federal Pell Grants go to undergraduate students without college degrees who come from low-income families.

Learn More



CalGrants get awarded to California resident undergraduates based on financial need, academic performance and other factors.

Learn More



Low-income students and students receiving cash assistance may automatically apply for a California College Promise Grant (CCPG).

Learn More



The California Community Colleges Scholarship Endowment (CCCSE) offers over 3,000 student scholarships per year.

Learn More


Part-Time Employment

Federal work-study students earn money to pay for college by working a part-time job on-campus or out in the community.

Learn More



Foster youth students who were in care on or after their 16th birthday can apply for a Chafee Grant up until they turn 26.

Learn More

Got questions?
We’ve got answers.

All Paths FAQs